Who does the best eCards? Discover the best eCard companies in the UK and the pros and cons of each.
There’s no better feeling than receiving a greeting card. And it appears most of the population agrees, with recent research revealing that around £1.75 billion are sold annually.
However, times have changed, and the cost of living is on the rise. When we factor in the environmental impact and the average price of a 1st class stamp costing 85p, eCards offer a viable alternative.
But where do you start? Read on to discover the best eCard companies in the UK.
What is an eCard?
An eCard is a digital version of a greeting card. The “e” simply stands for “electronic”, as the card is delivered electronically via email or the internet.
eCards can also be called “online digital cards” due to their creation, design, and delivery existing through digital media, not paper, cardboard or other physical materials associated with traditional greeting cards.
The recipient will receive the e-Card online, viewing it on their monitor, TV, or smartphone screen with the option to print it off if they wish. Quick to send with animation design options and even music, people can get creative, personal, and save paper in the process.
How do you send an eCard?
Sending an eCard is very simple and fast. It also saves you an added trip to the shops or using valuable resources.
All you need is the email address of the person you wish to send the card to and a computer, smartphone, tablet, or any other device with an internet connection. The rest is easy:
Select an official eCard website, such as Textcards.
Find the perfect style for your loved one. Textcards has a vast selection of featured designs ideal for all types of personalities or suiting all occasions.
Now for the fun bit. You can personalise your card with sentimental messages or funny jokes and even customise your features, colours, and fonts.
Choose the date for your card, pay the bill and rest assured your card will get sent to your recipient’s email as specified. The same principle applies to sending eCards via SMS. Only you include the phone number instead of the email address.
How much are eCards?
Different eCard companies will charge different rates for design, delivery, and eCard quality. The price of an eCard can range from £1.50 to £5+. So, like the price of a traditional greeting card.
However, with eCards, you have more design selections, personalisation features, and a faster, more convenient service.
While some eCard sites claim to offer a free service, like most things in life, you get what you pay for. Paying that bit extra will ensure the quality of your design and the reliability of delivery.
Remember, your recipient may want to print off your card, so the quality should be high for display purposes.
The 5 best UK eCard companies
Now for the all-important part – the crème de la crème of eCard companies. So, without further ado, here are our top 5 eCard company sites in the UK, complete with pros and cons for each.
Yes, “Moooon piiig dot com”. I think we’ve all heard of this brand. Unsurprisingly, they’ve branched out to supply eCards as part of their greetings and gifts services.
- You can shop for eCards by the occasion.
- You’ll find a large eCard range to suit different types of people and relationships.
- Moonpig eCards offer multi-photo design capabilities.
- They don’t specialise solely in eCards. Moonpig also offers traditional greeting cards, flowers & plants, gifts, chocolates, and drinks. Therefore, it feels like a bolt-on service, rather than a specialism.
- Despite being a big brand, Moonpig’s consumer rating on Sitejabber is 2.12 stars (from five) and 6 stars on Reviews.io. Food for thought.
All in all, Moonpig has a large selection of designs but doesn’t specialise solely in eCards, unlike other specific eCard companies where you may receive a greater level of expertise.
2. Funky Pigeon
Like Moonpig, Funky Pigeon is another big name in the greeting cards game. Here are the pros and cons of Funky Pigeon:
Funky Pigeon pros:
- You’ll find cheaper eCards, starting from £1.49
- Enjoy further savings through the membership option.
- The eCard selection is separated into person/relationship type, what’s popular or trending, and general browsing.
Funky Pigeon cons:
- You may experience slow loading times when the eCard is finalizing.
- Personalisation and customisation are limited.
- Clunky website UX and unsatisfying UI.
Funky Pigeon is very similar to Moonpig in terms of benefits, plus the addition of membership savings. However, the website UX should be improved to make the eCard experience more appealing to consumers.
Unlike Moonpig and Funky Pigeon, Paperless Post provides eCards only.
Paperless Post pros:
- Ideal for event invites with a large selection of occasions.
- Upload your design options.
- Enhanced design options and impressive templates.
Paperless Post cons:
- Overwhelming options for every occasion.
- Complicated UX.
- Limited reviews online may impact a negative reputation and credibility.
- Expensive when compared to other eCard companies.
Attractive designs and templates make Paperless Posts ideal for invitations. But, if you’re looking for additional pages (more than 2 sides) and a larger selection of design options and customisation, then you may find it lacking what you need.
Plus, it’s an expensive option when you’re delivering multiple invites for weddings or other events.
Some E-Cards specialise in ‘funny’ eCards options of an adult nature with pre-established jokes and messaging.
Some E-Cards Pros:
- A range of humorous eCard options.
- Distinctive design and animation.
Some E-Cards cons:
- Rude jokes are limited to a specific demographic.
- Limited personalisation and customisation options.
- Over saturation of advertising on the website causes chaotic UX.
Some E-Cards are good for humour, especially if you want something a bit spicier. Yet, their offering is limited to a niche demographic. The verdict? Good for siblings, bad for granny.
It wouldn’t be an eCard list without yours truly. At Textcards, we offer a variety of featured designs that suits multiple people, relationships, and occasions.
- Enhanced design, personalisation, and customisation options.
- Simple and satisfying website UX.
- Find cheap eCards with bespoke designs, starting from just 99p.
- Gift voucher options included.
- Use the search bar to find specific designs and occasions for ease.
- Mostly offering ‘friendly’ designs to suit a younger audience. However, designs can still be personalised/customised to suit different demographics.
We serve an all-inclusive range with its design selection while specialising in eCards only as an industry expert. By having simple and flexible product options, consumers have multiple eCard solutions available.
Who do the best eCards? (The final verdict)
Finding the perfect eCard for you depends on the person or occasion. But whether you’re looking for humour or sentimentality, having personalisation and customisation options is always beneficial in providing a personal touch, meaning more to the recipient.
At Textcards, we specialise in eCards for email or SMS with a wide range of themes and customisation features. Our platform is super easy to use, and we have eCards for all types of occasions, relationships, and people.
So, if you’re looking to treat a special person in your life to a fun and eco-friendly eCard, visit the website and browse our design selection.